Produced by Plains FM in Ōtautahi / Christchurch
Quiet Minds is a small group of consumers (mental health service users) who set up a radio show in June 2004 after attending a training day at Plains FM. Prior to Quiet Minds, most of the group had no previous broadcasting experience at all.
The Quiet Minds team is made up of empathetic people with an anti-discriminatory attitude and a dogged sense of social justice.
Our programmes are a broad mixture of interviews with:
- ordinary people who have had extraordinary experiences
- extraordinary people with courageous stories
- professional people who have useful information
- controversial people who disagree with professional people
- artists, writers and musicians whose mental illness informs their work
Programmes have covered topics like depression, schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder, electro-convulsive therapy, NGO’s, post-natal depression, alcohol and drug abuse, mental health awareness week and mental health issues faced by refugees.
Quiet Minds airs weekly on Wellington Access Radio, Wednesdays, 11-11.30pm.